Sections
You are here: Home content generated doc.free neda Records 199902261 Presentation main Re: Banan - Re: Publication of EMSD as an Informational RFC

Re: Banan - Re: Publication of EMSD as an Informational RFC

Re: Banan - Re: Publication of EMSD as an Informational RFC

Re: Banan - Re: Publication of EMSD as an Informational RFC

Mr. Braden,

Thank you for the update.

  Braden> Mr. Banan,

  Braden> You will be happy, I assume, to hear that the RFC Editor staff has been
  Braden> diligently pursuing the process of making a decision about whether to
  Braden> publish your document.  This has included consultation with relevant
  Braden> IESG members at the recent IETF meeting.  We would have certainly
  Braden> included you in the discussion if you had attended the IETF meeting.

I hope that my not participating at the recent IETF
meeting does not impact the process of publication of
the EMSD specification as a NON-IETF,
Non-standards-track RFC in a negative way.

Would you please summarize for me your relevant
communications with the IESG members?

Numerous times in the past 8 weeks I have asked the RFC
Editor to let me know about any concerns with respect to
the suitability for publication of the EMSD
specifications  so that I can address them. No such
concerns have been expressed.

Nearly 6 weeks ago, during interactions with Keith Moore
of IESG, I suggested:

  Mohsen> Can we please turn this into a positive and
  Mohsen> productive interaction?

  Mohsen> I suggest the following:

  Mohsen>  - Quickly email me your specific comments which you feel
  Mohsen>    I should incorporate.

  Mohsen>  - If there are significant pieces that are missing and that
  Mohsen>    should go in the next rev. of this spec., please email me
  Mohsen>    those. I'll update Appendix D, "FURTHER DEVELOPMENT".

  Mohsen>  - Give me a general feel for the nature of the IESG note
  Mohsen>    that you intend to include as soon as possible so that
  Mohsen>    we can discuss it and make sure that there are no
  Mohsen>    mis-understandings.

To which he responded:

  Keith> Given your tirade on the IETF list, I am very dubious that this is possible.

That, of course, was unreasonable and unprofessional.

Now that the RFC Editor has had 8 weeks to review the
EMSD specifications, I suggest the same again:

  - Quickly email me your specific concerns and
    questions so that I can address them and avoid
    mis-understandings.

  - Quickly email me your specific comments which you feel
    I should incorporate in the current revision of the
    EMSD specification.

  - If you feel there are significant pieces that are
    missing and that  should go in the next rev. of this
    spec., please email me  those.
    I'll update Appendix D, "FURTHER DEVELOPMENT".

  Braden> There is specified a minimum time, but otherwise the time period
  Braden> is determined by the judgment of the RFC Editor.  Taking into
  Braden> consideration earlier events concerning your document, we have
  Braden> decided to await a full recommendation from the IESG before
  Braden> making a final decision on publication.  You may be assured
  Braden> that we share your anxiety to reach a conclusion on this issue.

Waiting for the IESG to issue its full recommendation
without any deadline constraints is in contradiction
with the *timely* requirement of RFC 2026. Particularly
since the IESG has publicly stated that review of
Non-IETF work has low priority.

Further, the 8 months delays caused by the IESG in the
case of RFC-2188 which resulted in a last minute -- not
expected -- IESG note which claimed a "cursory
examination" is a real reference point of which I am
afraid of.

I think the way forward is quite clear:

  1) If the RFC Editor has any concerns about the EMSD
     specifications, please express them NOW so that I can
     address those concerns.

  2) Define a reasonable time frame for the publication
     of the EMSD specification so that the IESG review
     is not open-ended.

Respectfully Yours,

Mohsen Banan.